Heading overseas or on holiday this Winter?
You won’t want to miss these essential tips on keeping your digestive health in check while away.
We all know how uncomfortable an upset stomach can be whilst on a holiday!
Every traveler can agree that stomach illnesses are a sure way to take the shine off your hard-earned holiday.
Some common symptoms of stomach discomforts are:
The cause of your symptoms is most likely due to a parasite, different food, food poisoning, or a sudden change in the microbiome.
Many pharmacists recommend travelers take things like Imodium while traveling “just in case”. However, this doesn’t protect you from getting infected nor does it assist with protecting you from the damage of parasites or food poisoning. It simply stops the loose bowels but the actual problem remains.
Ensuring you have prepped your digestive system before you go away with something like Gut Repair is ideal (& taking it with you is even better!).
Ideally, if you are new to Gut Repair taking it a month prior is good.
Other things which you can do prior to your holiday are:
– Increasing HCL to support the changes in food – HCL isn’t useful just for digestion; it actually helps with killing off bad bacteria & pathogens before they get into your bowels where they cause havoc.
– Incorporate a probiotic which acts as an eliminator of bacteria such as Saccharomyces Boulardii
– Boost your immune system so that your body can fight off bacteria and virus
Ways to prevent stomach discomfort whilst away on holiday:
- Drinking water out of bottles only – some country’s water supply is not at the same standard as Australia and drinking this will be seen as a threat to your body.
- Supporting your digestive enzymes & HCL – this will be your first point of defense.
- Ease into the local cuisine by choosing familiar foods – Eat where the locals eat! This is likely to be of the highest quality food. Maybe leave the food trucks & Tuk-tuk kitchens for a few days until you have become accustomed to the environment.
- Avoiding touching your face with unclean hands- Sanitiser is probably not the best option here as it can eliminate beneficial bacteria from your face (yes we have a microbiome there also) so I would suggest things like moisture wipes for convenience and you can also use them to refresh yourself.
- Avoid ice in your drinks- Always ask if the ice being used is from bags, this will ensure the ice is not made with local tap water.
- Brushing your teeth from the tap – use bottled water instead.
- Be cautious around buffets – especially if you are in a tropical place. Deli meat can be the first type of food to cause digestive issues along with dairy.
Drinking teas like peppermint after meals can soothe digestive upset – Not a cocktail, sorry.
I hope these tips have been helpful!