Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an ancient medicinal herb from the Solanaceae family and is found extensively throughout India and North Africa. It is a small, woody shrub with yellow flowers that grows approximately two feet high, with the root of the plant used primarily as an adaptogen (a natural substance used in herbal medicine to regulate internal systems.)
Used for over 3,000 years to enhance energy, improve concentration and relieve stress, Ashwagandha is one of the most important herbs in Ayurveda (Ayur = life, Veda = science), India’s traditional system of alternative medicine. Referred to as the “Prince of Herbs” in Ayurveda for its extensive range of therapeutic effects, it’s also known as Indian Ginseng or Winter cherry.
How does Ashwagandha work?
Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb that helps the body adapt to stressful conditions. Adaptogens work at a molecular level by “hacking” the stress response and promoting balance in the hypothalamic, pituitary, and adrenal glands. The highly synergistic bio-constituents of Ashwagandha are responsible for a multitude of therapeutic effects within our internal systems, thus operating at a holistic level.
What are the benefits of Ashwagandha?
Research into Ashwagandha is providing extensive evidence for a significant array of health benefits. It is one of the few herbs that encompasses both the physiological and psychological aspects of wellbeing.
The following are potential primary benefits:
- Anxiety and stress reduction – research reports Ashwagandha blocks stress pathways.
- Cognition and memory support – antioxidant activity protects brain-cells from harmful free radicals.
- Symptoms of depression – may help alleviate depression.
- Neurodegenerative disorders – growing research demonstrates potential benefits in the prevention and treatment of different neurodegenerative disorders and cognitive impairment.
- Normal thyroid maintenance – by stimulating thyroid hormones, preliminary studies demonstrate Ashwagandha’s ability to promote positive thyroid function
- Balancing blood sugar levels – Ashwagandha has been shown to stabilise levels, reducing blood sugar when it’s too high or increasing if too low (the adaptogenic effect.) Imbalanced blood sugar levels can result in diabetes, depression, and dementia
- Inflammation reduction – Ashwagandha has potent anti-inflammatory properties useful for painful ailments such as arthritis and in protecting against systemic inflammation.
- Increases energy, stamina, and endurance – improves heart and lung capacity while augmenting energy levels. Beneficial for fatigue-related conditions or athletes.
- Boost testosterone, male fertility – research indicates increased sperm count, motility, and reproductive health.
Continuing Research into Ashwagandha
The medical interest in Ashwagandha continues to increase with a growing body of research around its application in:
- Lowering cholesterol and triglycerides
- Combating neurodegenerative diseases
- Potential anticancer properties
Why Choose SHARP MIND with KSM-66 Ashwagandha?
KSM-66® is the Ashwagandha root extract backed with the most extensive research and gold-standard human clinical trials. It is a unique full-spectrum organic root extract, containing the highest standardized concentration of active bio-constituents of any root-only extracts available on the market. It is produced using a proprietary green-chemistry process, free of alcohol or chemical solvents. KSM-66® has been clinically proven to enhance memory, cognitive function, reduce stress, lower cortisol levels, and relieve mild anxiety.
SHARP MIND contains KSM-66® at the highest clinically validated dose, with directions of use that match the dosage schedule of the clinical trials. Supplementing with SHARP MIND may be the most simple and effective way to enhance your health and wellbeing.
Talk to an Ayurvedic practitioner or your healthcare professional if you are unsure if this herb is right for you.